Interior Design Guide

Harmony at Home: Merging Oriental and Contemporary Styles

1_Cooperclien_whytt

If you are one of those people who believe that, in order to create a truly breathtaking interior everything has to match, you are dead wrong. To truly accentuate all the beauties of a single style, you should actually combine it with some other style, preferably a completely opposite one. But, do keep in mind that if you wish to combine two (or more) styles, one of them should be your “main” style, while the other one(s) should just support and enhance it.
If, for example, you wish to decorate your interior in Oriental style, the best “supporting” style to combine it with would be the contemporary style. These two styles are completely different from one another in terms of colors, patterns and finishes. However, if you’re not sure where to begin or how to mix these two for the maximum effect, please read on.

Rule No 1 – there are (almost) no rules

When mixing different styles, there are basically no rules to follow but your personal taste and preferences. However, if you want to make sure you don’t go overboard, you might want to consider the 80-20 rule, just to make sure you stay on the right track. According to this principle, 80% of your interior should be unified in some sense, so that the other 20% can stand out and add a personal touch to your design. The 80% can belong to either the main or the supporting style, the choice is completely up to you.

Determine the color palette

2

In order to create a cohesive environment, you shouldn’t go crazy with the color choices. Instead, try to stick with colors that can be found in both the Oriental and modern design or contrast them completely. The color palette typically found in the modern design usually revolves around neutrals, while the Oriental design is full of rich, vibrant colors, textures and elaborate ornaments. So, for example, you can go with a neutral color for your walls, which will make your Oriental decor pieces pop even more than they would against any other backdrop.

Make the odd one out your statement piece

3

If you have a piece of furniture that just doesn’t go with the rest of the room design, but it still belongs to the preferred style of your choice don’t try to hide it or get rid of it, but rather make it your statement piece. On the other hand, if you don’t have such a piece, you can try to find fancy Chinese homewares online and get something that will serve this purpose. Anything from Asian wastepaper baskets to elaborate geometric lattice wall panels will do the trick.

Tie in the rest of the design

4

Your decor pieces don’t have to match in any sense, but it would be preferable if they had at least something in common, or if they were completely different but complementary. This applies to the rest of your design as well. What this means is that you should have a certain theme in mind before you actually start decorating. To elaborate this even further: since the Oriental style consists of various different sub-styles (such as Chinese, Japanese, Egyptian, Moroccan…) it would be best if you opted for one of them and combined that one with the modern style. If you were to include decor pieces from every single sub-style into your design, you would end up with a room that resembles an Oriental museum storage room. However, if that’s the look you are going for then, by all means, ignore what we just said.
As you can see, combining different styles is a piece of cake. Follow your intuition and we are sure you’ll be left with a breathtaking interior everyone will admire. And, most importantly, you’ll be able to create your own cozy piece of heaven. Just remember, it’s your home, so don’t let anybody tell you what you can and can’t do, because the true beauty of the mixed-style interior lies in its rebellious vibe.